Search

Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Poor Baby...

It has been one of the hardest two weeks of my life... and today was just icing on the cake.

I got a horrible virus the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. My heart goes out to all the mothers out there who have ever been really sick. I didn't have a voice for days... I had no energy- and yet being a mom it wasn't possible to just 'stay in bed'. A million thank you's to my sweet hubby who did as much as he could for me. It was so nice to have him home over Thanksgiving.
I was so worried about getting Jayden sick. I washed my hands so much that they turned white and crusty. Lovely, huh? I looked away every time I would feed Jayden so as not to breathe on him. I didn't kiss him which was probably the most difficult thing for me ever. ...All that work... and for nothing :(
Last night I was up at 4 a.m. to Jayden's barking cough. For four hours I listened to him cough away sounding miserable. I checked on him every half hour to see if he was running a fever. At 8:30 on the dot I called our pediatrician- who told us to come in right away.
What does he have??? Croup. She said she hasn't seen a baby so young with croup. Way to go Jayden. Stupid croup.
Anyway she perscribed some steriods to help the swelling go down in his lungs. We were at Smith's for over an hour waiting for them to fill the perscription. Meanwhile Jayden is spitting up mucus literally sitting in throw up. People are looking at me like, "Why do you have your baby in the store when he's so sick?" And one lovely lady said, "Thank God for modern medicine. Did you know without it your baby would probably die with that cough" ...Thank you. :)

We got home and Jayden started to feel really hot. I took his temp and it was over 102!! I called the Dr- and of course everyone was on lunch. An hour later they called me back and told me to take him to Primary Children's Hospital right away to do labs, xrays, and another test.
I was starting to lose my cool. I was so worried about Jayden and I was worried about having to take him to the hospital by myself. I tried calling Ryan 12 times but he didn't answer his phone (Reminds me of the day I found out I was pregnant and Ryan didn't answer his phone.). So I got Jayden in the car and cried the whole way over there thinking of the "What ifs". I was scared :)

They did all the tests- drew blood, did xrays, and stuck a tube down his throat through his nose. Ryan got to the hospital about the time they did the chest Xrays. It was so nice to have him there. Jayden was such a good baby. He did so well. He had a 102 fever... a horrible cough.. people poking and proding him and was still smiling and talking to everyone he met.

Tomorrow morning we find out if he has the first case of RSV in Northern Utah. The Dr. doesn't think it's likely. Hopefully it is just croup. The Xrays look good, and apparently his white blood cell count is normal. We're giving him lots of medicine .... hopefully all will go well tonight. I'm so sad my baby's sick :(
Ryan... keep your distance.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh Tiff, I'm sorry! I hope Jayden gets better soon! Just so you know, you can call me anytime! I don't work anymore, so I'm always around. I'm sorry you went through all that by yourself. Chris and I will definitely keep Jayden in our prayers!

If we need to reschedule Saturday, that is totally fine! Just let me know!

Loves

Amy said...

I'm so sorry! That sounds terrifying! Please let us know if there is anything we can do, and we'll definitely keep you in our prayers.

Joanna McGuire said...

Oh Tiff I am so sorry that is horrible. Please let me know if you need anything this weekend. I am glad you are getting better, but poor little Jayden.

Stephenson and Katie said...

How scary tiff I can't imagine! I hope he is getting better= we'll keep him in our prayers!

Duffin Fam said...

Tiffany it sound like you have a fun little time. Welcome to the true meaning if Motherhood! I hope you both get better soon!
Liesl

Gretchen said...

I hope everything gets better and he doesn't have RSV....we will keep u guys in our prayers.

Sue said...

Poor little guy - I hope he gets over this really soon. I don't think I've ever smiled when I've been sick and am impressed that he was able to remain so positive while at the hospital - what a guy!

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweet Jaden. I'm so sorry. I hope he doesn't have RSV. Jennie had that when she was just about his age. Sorry you couldn't come make cookies with us this year, but we understand. Give baby a kiss for us.

Blanck said...

Sick kids and sick mommy's are at the top of my hate list. So sorry you have had a rough two weeks. Croup is no fun. I remember I got so sick when the twins were a week old I put a shield on my face and everything. It is hard to avoid with all the care you give them. by the way still missing you and want to meet your baby J

ariel said...

I hope the little guy is doing better. So sad :(

Chris and Tara said...

I caan't believe that lady said that. Gee, thanks for the uplifting moment, as though I wasn't already concerned for his health... Grrr!
I'm so glad you are both feeling better.